Northland Youth Summit Arts Festival
The Northland Youth Summit Arts Festival is an annual event which is held in a different location around Northland each year. It is a free event for youth aged 12-24 in Northland with a limited number of places available.
Experts in their field facilitate and mentor youth in various creative workshops over 3 days. All youth stay on site for the entirety of the event with the facilitators, mentors and event organisers at a local marae. All youth are catered for over the 3 days and transported to the event from different areas around Northland.
The 2019 Expression of Interest forms will available in the next few weeks – keep an eye out for the announcement.
In 2019 there are plans to adapt the previous workshops and provide a total of 8 workshops which is an increase of 1 workshop from 7 in 2018.
The workshops are as follows:
- Music – The youth will split into smaller groups and compose a song together which will be performed on the final day of the event.
- Dance – The youth with the guidance of the facilitators will choreograph a dance which will be performed on the final day of the event.
- Theatre & Performance – The youth with the guidance of the facilitators will create a theatrical piece which will be performed on the final day of the event.
- Film & Photography – The youth will be taught basic film, photography and editing skills which will be used to create a short film/documentary at the event.
- Creative Technologies – The youth will be given a taster of some of the current creative technology trends as guided by the facilitators.
- Visual Art (painting) – The youth will be taught basic painting skills which will be used to create an art piece using paint sponsored by Resene.
- Carving & Weaving – The youth will be taught carving & flax weaving skills and guided to create a small sculptural artwork and a handmade flax item. This will be kept for a short period of time after the event and used in at least 1 exhibition.
- Wearable Arts – The youth will design and create a wearable art fashion piece which will be shown on the last day at a mini fashion parade. At least one design will be entered into the Bernina Northland Fashion Awards.
Check out the Film “Commissioners Message” created by the 2018 Film Workshop Group.