Northland Youth Summit Arts Festival
The Northland Youth Summit Arts Festival is an annual event which is held in a different location around Northland each year. It is a free event for youth aged 12-24 in Northland with a limited number of places available.
Experts in their field facilitate and mentor youth in various creative workshops over 3 days. All youth stay on site for the entirety of the event with the facilitators, mentors and event organisers at a local marae. All youth are catered for over the 3 days and transported to the event from different areas around Northland.
The 2019 Expression of Interest forms are now open so apply ASAP!
In 2019 the workshops have been adapted and 8 workshops will be on offer which is an increase of 1 workshop from 7 in 2018.
The workshops are as follows:
- Music – The youth will split into smaller groups and compose a song together which will be performed on the final day of the event.
- Dance – The youth with the guidance of the facilitators will choreograph a dance which will be performed on the final day of the event.
- Theatre & Performance – The youth with the guidance of the facilitators will create a theatrical piece which will be performed on the final day of the event.
- Film & Photography – The youth will be taught basic film, photography and editing skills which will be used to create a short film/documentary at the event.
- Creative Technologies – The youth will be given a taster of some of the current creative technology trends as guided by the facilitators.
- Visual Art (painting) – The youth will be taught basic painting skills which will be used to create an art piece using paint sponsored by Resene.
- Carving & Weaving – The youth will be taught carving & flax weaving skills and guided to create a small sculptural artwork and a handmade flax item. This will be kept for a short period of time after the event and used in at least 1 exhibition.
- Wearable Arts – The youth will design and create a wearable art fashion piece which will be shown on the last day at a mini fashion parade. At least one design will be entered into the Bernina Northland Fashion Awards.
Check out the Film “Commissioners Message” created by the 2018 Film Workshop Group.